PORT ALBERNI RCMP/City of PORT ALBERNI
“To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police. The police being only members of the public that are paid to give full -time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.” Sir Robert Peel, Circa: 1829
Our Community Policing volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and demographics. The program offers volunteer opportunities during the week, evenings on Friday and Saturday nights and the occasional weekend. Each volunteer has a different reason, or combination of reasons, supporting their desire to volunteer their time, talent and energy with the RCMP. Our program attracts people from all walks of life such as retirees, professionals, trades people, parents, post secondary students, young people etc etc. Some use the experience and training gained to develop towards careers in law enforcement, emergency services and the military.
Click on this video link to learn more: https://youtu.be/WuE04J2GvHI
Volunteers can participate in a variety of activities during their scheduled shift. Crime reduction and prevention activities are delivered by the volunteers.
POLICE VICTIM SERVICES
Police Victim Services is a free service offered to victims of crime and trauma. The program is based at the Port Alberni RCMP detachment.
The purpose of the Port Alberni RCMP Community Policing volunteer program is to strengthen community and police partnerships by educating, engaging and empowering volunteers to support and assist the Port Alberni RCMP in the safe and effective delivery of authorized crime reduction and prevention activities.
The Port Alberni RCMP Volunteer Program respects and is guided by the values established by the RCMP. These values are:
The Port Alberni RCMP Volunteer Program and activities will:
- contribute to the policing priorities set out by the Port Alberni RCMP Detachment.
- provide a safe work environment so all volunteers can carry out their assigned tasks competently and safely.
- be progressive, proactive, and innovative in the delivery of the program and volunteer activities.
- offer effective services and activities that appeal to a wide range of volunteers.
- recognize volunteers for their time and commitment.
- promote the volunteer program within the community in order to maintain a well resourced program.
- empower volunteers with the knowledge and insight into policing activities and challenges so they become ambassadors for the Port Alberni RCMP Detachment and its members.